I’ve been playing golf since the age of 14 playing tournaments on the Swedish amateur tour until a few years ago and am a massive golf fan. Although I now enjoy a few casual games I still watch the pro’s slugging it on PGA tour play.
It’s no surprise to anyone that I was crossing the island of Malta last night just to find a place showing the US Masters from Augusta – Tiger’s comeback to the PGA tour, would any true golf fan want to miss that?
After having seen the first 18-holes I’m convinced that Tiger will win the US Masters 2010, and here’s why:
1) Tiger shot a 68 in yesterday’s opening round, that’s his best opening score in the US Masters ever.
2) On the 9th hole Tiger hit the drive wild out to the left, forcing him to hit a hook low under the trees using probably a mid-iron and get it to stay on the green… Tiger’s ball ended 2-3m from the holes. Tiger is back!
3) Tigers shot a 68 (-4) with 3 putts just sweeping the hole, that’s a different play than Tom Watson’s 67 (-5) where he saved up-and-down on 5 straight holes on the back nine putting down noting only 10 puts (!!).
4) Tiger has been through a lot lately (leaving that discussion for another blog) putting him under insane pressure for his comeback. This is the longest break in history of any #1 ranked player since Ben Hogan returned to the tour after his car accident, still he comes back and shoots 68 (-4).
5) The crowd seems to be supoorting Tiger’s comeback. Tiger stated that the crowd hasn’t been this loud ever. Finally, Tiger just has to win and he knows its the only way he can get the discussion around his “brand” back on golf again.
Tiger Woods will win the US Masters 2010, we have the odds here.